Working for Justice
The mission of the Racial Justice Team is to engage Society members and friends in the work of identifying, understanding, and undoing racism within ourselves, our faith community, and our broader society. While racism affects many different groups of people, at this time in our history the team recognizes the urgency of racism as it affects black people in America.
We seek to understand and address the underlying attitudes and habitual responses to anti-black racism in America in our times, including white privilege and white fragility. We engage in this work through discussion, supporting racial justice work in the larger community, and participating in direct action. The team’s current goals include:
- Deepen the congregation’s understanding of and engagement around racial justice issues to ensure that they’re well prepared to be active and outspoken advocates for racial justice
- Continue the process for engaging the congregation in discerning our Society’s work in Racial Justice and identify one or more projects for the FUUSB to pursue
- Bear public witness to our support for Black Lives Matter and hang a Black Lives Matter Banner outside the Meeting House
For information about upcoming racial justice trainings, visit the team’s Racial Justice Resources page!
Drawing from our UU values and principles, the FUUSB Climate Justice Team is called to address the escalating climate crisis through education which inspires personal and community change, advocacy, political action, and collaboration. We are further committed to explore and address the connection between climate justice, environmental justice, and other social justice issues such as racism.
The team’s goals include:
- Put our UU values into local action
- Network and connect with other faith communities
- Continue legislative and policy-based advocacy
- Collaborate with and support local climate groups
- Explore the intersection of climate/environmental justice and racial justice
For more information, visit the team’s Climate Justice Resources page!
Contact: Jud Lawrie
The mission of the Immigration Justice Team is to make our First UU Society and the wider community more aware of the injustices faced by immigrants, refugees, and asylum seekers, and to facilitate actions that will alleviate these injustices. We meet on the third Tuesday of the month from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. All are welcome to attend.
The mission of the Economic Justice Task Force is to engage our Society’s members, friends and the greater community to identify, understand, and move beyond classism and a system which perpetuates growing inequality and economic injustices within us, our faith community, and society. The task force’s goals include
- Counter growing inequality through a Raise the Wage campaign
- Promote an Economy of Health & Caring through support for Paid Family & Medical Leave
- Protect the most vulnerable among us – low income, women & children, people of color, refugees, seniors
Contact: Gene Bergman
Love & Justice
The Love & Justice team organizes the First UU Society’s weekly Love & Justice vigils. Vigils are held every Wednesday at 5:15 p.m. in front the of the First UU Society Meeting House with a different focus each week – Racial Justice and Black Lives Matter (1st Wednesday of the month), Economic Justice (2nd Wednesday), Climate Justice (3rd Wednesday), Immigration and Refugees (4th Wednesday), and Peace (5th Wednesday).
Vermont Interfaith Action
Members of the First UU Society have had a close working relationship with Vermont Interfaith Action (VIA) for many years. As an institution, the First UU Society shares loose plate collections with VIA, provides low-rent offices for the organization, and helps publicize its social-action priorities and events. The Economic Justice Task Force and Racial Justice Team work actively with Vermont Interfaith Action.
Contact: Gene Bergman