Our Mission, Values and Ends
Guided by our core First UU values—love, service, openness and respect, we work towards these visionary ends:
- FUUSB uses its power as an organization and faith community to work for social, economic and environmental justice.
- FUUSB’s welcoming worship, supported by powerful and diverse music and art, acts as a magnet that fosters spiritual growth, compassion, introspection and impetus to action.
- FUUSB is a compassionate community, offering all who engage in its ministries a profound sense of welcome, belonging, and spiritual care through life’s joys, struggles, and sacred passages.
- FUUSB provides diverse opportunities for transformational spiritual growth, faith development and personal discovery, promoting life-long learning for all ages and stages of life.
- FUUSB generously stewards our mission and strongly supports ministries, activities and an historic building and spaces.
We gather together with the intention of creating a vibrant, healthy, liberal religious community. To this end, we make the following promises to each other:
- To come with open minds and hearts so that we can welcome new ideas, new people and new possibilities.
- To listen carefully to each other, to speak openly and respectfully, and to assume good intentions, especially in times of disagreement.
- To participate actively in the life of the Society by being present, serving/volunteering, and providing financial support.
We recognize that there will be times when we will fall short of these ideals. We will be accountable to each other and forgiving of each other.